Effective Date : May 2018
General Mills is proud to market some of the world’s most trusted brands. We know that maintaining your trust requires that we protect your privacy – so we are very sensitive to the privacy concerns of those who use our websites, our pages and applications on third-party social networking services, our emails, and our mobile applications (collectively, with all other platforms that link to this policy, our “Services”).
Information We Collect
- You may directly provide information to us
- You may choose to allow a third party, such as a social networking service, to share information with us
- We may gather other information when you use or access our Services, or when you view our online advertisements
- We may obtain additional information about you from other sources where permitted by law
If we are unable to collect information relating to you, we may be unable to provide you with the goods or services you request. More detail on each of these methods of collection is immediately below.
Information you directly provide
When you access and use our Services or otherwise communicate with us, you may directly provide us with information, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Contact Information (such as name, email address, mailing address, telephone number and the like)
- Username or password
- Demographic information (such as age or date of birth, gender, marital status, number of children, or other characteristics)
- Credit card or other payment information
- Contact details of family members or others
- Any other information that you choose to provide us about you, your family, or others
- Any other information that we may require from time to time in order to provide you with our Services, including information that may be considered sensitive personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Information from social networking services
If you choose to access or make use of third-party social networking services (such as Facebook or Twitter), we may receive personal information about you that you have made available to those services, including information about your contacts on those services.
For example, some social networking services allow you to push content from our Services to your contacts or to pull information about your contacts so you can connect with them on our Services. Some social networking services will also facilitate your registration or log-in for our Services or enhance or personalize your experience on our Services.
Your decision to use a social networking service will always be voluntary. However, you should make sure you are comfortable with the information social networking services may make available to our Services by visiting those services’ privacy policies.
Information we gather when you access or use our Services, or when you view our online advertisements
- Device type (such as desktop, tablet, or mobile device)
- Browser type (such as Internet Explorer)
- Operating system (such as Windows)
- IP address, MAC address, device ID, or similar information
- Websites or online services you visit before or after our Services
- Your interaction with our Services (such as the links you click on and the pages and items you view
- Whether you open or forward our emails or click on elements within these emails
Information we may obtain from other sources
We may collect information about you from other sources, where permitted by law, such as public databases, other brands and groups within General Mills, and other commercially available sources. We may also collect information about you from third parties we engage to provide services to you on our behalf, including (but not limited to) third parties handling consumer support inquiries or marketing.
This information may include:
- Your interaction with our Services (such as the links you click on and the pages and items you view)
- Whether you open or forward our emails or click on elements within these emails
- Contact Information (e.g., name, email address, mailing address, telephone number)
- Social networking user IDsv
- Age or date of birth
- Demographic information
- Income level
- Purchasing behaviour
- Interests, hobbies, and product preferences
- Interactions with media or advertising
- Publicly observable activities (such as blogs and online postings)
- Other information that has been collected by other brands or businesses within the General Mills family of companies
- Other information that we may use to improve our marketing activities.
How We Use This Information
We may collect, hold, and use personal information for the purposes listed below (unless otherwise required by law):
- to communicate with you regarding our products, services, and promotions. Note that, if you would not like to receive data marketing materials from us, you may notify us using the contact details set out below;
- to provide you with other information, services, products, or other materials you request or in which you may be interested;
- to customize your interactive experience (including by providing you with relevant advertising on our Services and elsewhere);
- to manage and improve our sites, products, and service offerings;
- for our internal management purposes and to manage our relationship with you; and
- for other purposes which are reasonably necessary in connection with our ordinary functions and activities.
- By way of example, some specific ways that we may use this information are as follows:
- to register you to receive emails or other information or materials you request
- to register you for a contest, sweepstakes, or other promotion
- to register you to receive discounts, premiums, product samples, or other materials
- to create and manage your account as a user or member of our Services (or as someone who may post content to our Services)
- to provide you with services or offers you have requested
- to respond if you contact one of our Customer Care Representatives
- to process your payment for purchases or other services
- to better understand the audience for our Services
- to analyse how our products, services and sites are accessed and used
- to help us develop new products, services, and sites
- to conduct surveys and other research and analysis
- to develop and deliver advertising and other communications more tailored to your interests
- to help us improve our advertising
- to provide security and protect against fraud
We will not send you any email marketing communication unless you expressly consent to receive such a communication from us. And if you do sign up to receive these emails, you will always have the opportunity to “unsubscribe” from further email marketing messages from that General Mills brand or group.
How We Retain Information
We hold the information we collect in electronic and/or paper form. We retain information for as long as it is reasonably needed for the purpose for which it was collected, or for so long as there is a need to preserve it for legal reasons. We delete information as soon as reasonably practical after a valid deletion request or the end of the period just described, whichever is sooner.
General descriptions of “cookies” and “web beacons”
“Cookies” are small files that are placed on your computer or device when you visit a website. Cookies may be used to store a unique identification number tied to your computer or device so that you can be recognized as the same user across one or more browsing sessions, and across one or more sites.
Some cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around our Services and use its features, such as accessing secured areas. Other cookies collect information about how visitors use the Services (for instance, which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages). When combined with information collected when you register on a website, cookies allow us to welcome you back to the site or otherwise provide enhanced, more personal features. Cookies may also be used on our behalf by third parties managing our advertising on other websites to enable us to learn which advertisements bring visitors to our sites and to otherwise improve or target our online advertising.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but can be configured not to do so or to notify the user when a cookie is being sent. If you wish to disable cookies, refer to your browser help menu to learn how to disable cookies. Please note that if you disable cookies, you may be unable to access some customized features on our Services.
“Web beacons” and similar technologies are tiny or transparent images that, for example, allow us and third parties to count the number of users who have visited a particular web page or to access certain cookies. When you access a page containing a beacon, you establish a communication with a web server, which collects certain information about your computer or device. This information may include your IP address, browser type, operating system type, and identifiers that have been stored in cookies. We may use beacons on Services to count the number of visitors to our Services and to recognize users by accessing unique identifiers stored in cookies that we have set on their computers or devices. Being able to access these identifiers enables us to provide a personalized experience on our Services. We may also include beacons in advertisements or in email messages to determine how these are acted on.
Cookies for online behavioural advertising
These third parties may use the information gathered through these cookies to show you advertising they believe to be most relevant to you when you visit other websites not belonging to us. This practice is called “targeted advertising.” or “online behavioural advertising.”
For additional information on the types of cookies we use, please click here.
Other uses of local storage and unique identifiers
We (and the third parties who provide content, advertising, or functionality on our Services) may also use other kinds of local storage technologies that operate similarly to cookies, such as local shared objects (also known as “Flash cookies”) and HTML5 local storage. These technologies are similar to cookies in that they make use of storage on your device for the purpose of identifying the device across different services and sessions. Please note, however, that these technologies may make use of different parts of your device than cookies do, and so you might not be able to control them using standard browser tools and settings. For information about disabling or deleting information contained in Flash cookies, please click here.
If you are in the European Economic Area, cookies and similar technologies will only be used with your prior informed consent, unless they are necessary for the provision of services you requested. Where applicable, you can revoke consent by visiting http://youronlinechoices.eu/
How We May Share Information With Others
We may share the information we collect with the following types of entities in connection with the purposes listed above, including those which may be located in the United States or other countries outside your country of residence:
Affiliates. We may share information within General Mills among our various businesses, and within our family of affiliated companies.
Service Providers, Advisers, and Consultants. We may share information with third parties that provide services on our behalf and third parties that provide services to us. These parties may use the information solely in conjunction with the specific services they provide for us or to us. Some service providers may be involved in administering or, where allowed by law, supplementing our databases.
Other Parties When Required by Law or as Necessary to Protect Our Users and Services. We also may disclose information to third parties in order to:
- protect our legal rights, as well as the rights of the users of our Services or others;
- protect the safety and security of the Services, our users, or others;
- investigate violations of law and to prevent fraud; or
- comply with the law in any of the jurisdictions in which we do business, or if we are compelled to release information by a court of law or other person or entity with jurisdiction to compel production of such information, asked to respond to legal process or a request for co-operation by a government entity, whether or not legally required (depending on local law).
Other Parties in Connection with a Corporate Transaction. We reserve the right to disclose any information we have about you in the event that we sell, merge, or otherwise transfer all or a portion of our business or assets to a third party (or offer to do so), or in the unlikely event of a bankruptcy or similar event. Outside this context, we will not sell any lists of consumer contact information to unaffiliated companies for their marketing purposes.
Third Parties Who Provide Content, Advertising, Or Functionality On Our Services
Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Services may be provided by third parties who are not affiliated with us. For example:
- We may enable you to share certain materials on the Services with others through social networking services such as Facebook and Twitter.
One of the third parties that provides services to us is Google Inc. Like many websites, we use Google Analytics, a service that provides information about how many users visit our Services, when they visit, and how they navigate our Services. Google offers a browser add-on that enables users to opt out of having data about their visits reported to websites by Google Analytics. More information about the add-on is here.
We are committed to keeping your interactions on our Services safe and secure. We have implemented administrative, technical, and physical measures intended to safeguard personal information in our custody and control against theft, loss, and unauthorized access, use, modification, and disclosure. Please note, however, that we cannot absolutely guarantee the security of any information you provide online; you provide it at your own risk.
Links To Other Services
User-Generated Content And Public Profile Features
Our Services may, from time to time, contain interactive areas where Services users might submit comments or other content (including information about the user that might be displayed in the user’s public profile within an online community) that may be visible to others. Users should be aware that when they voluntarily disclose personal information in content submitted for posting or publication, the information can be read and used by others. This may result in unsolicited messages from other posters or parties. We make no representations and undertake no obligations as to the security or use of information you voluntarily include when submitting content.
Our Services may, from time to time, include a send-to-a-friend application that makes it easy for you to forward information or materials from our Services to friends or family by email. In order to address your email message, the application may ask you to input the recipient’s email address and/or similar information (including your email address). This information is used by the application to address your message so that it can be properly sent. We may temporarily maintain a log of this information for troubleshooting and fraud-prevention purposes. In the event that we are offering you some form of referral award for encouraging an action on the part of the recipient (for example, if you are to earn a reward if the recipient chooses to register for one of our offerings after receiving the email from you), we may also retain the information as necessary to establish that the referral award was earned.
Our Services are not directed to children as defined by applicable law, and we will not knowingly request any information from children. General Mills does have other services that are geared in whole or in part to a child audience, and the practices that apply to those services are described in the privacy policies that apply to those services. General Mills takes special care to protect the privacy of children. We also recommend that parents monitor their children’s Internet activities and learn and employ software or other tools that can help their children enjoy the fun and entertainment of an online experience without compromising their personal safety or allowing them to use the Internet in a manner inconsistent with their parents’ preferences.
Anonymity And Pseudonyms
Where feasible, you may have the option of not identifying yourself or using a pseudonym when dealing with us unless we are required by law or a court/tribunal to deal with individuals who have identified themselves, or it is impractical for us to deal with you if you have not identified yourself.
How To Make A Complaint About A Breach Of Your Privacy Rights
If you think we have breached our privacy obligations in dealing with your personal information, you may make a complaint by writing to us using the contact details set out below and we will endeavour to provide you with confirmation as to how we propose to deal with the complaint as soon as reasonably practicable. If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, then you may make a complaint to the relevant privacy regulatory body in your country of residence.
More Choices About Your Information
In addition to your right to be informed about our data practices, you have the right to request access to information we specifically hold about you and request that we rectify inaccuracies in that information (subject to certain exceptions under applicable law). Depending on applicable law, you may also have the right to erasure, the right to restrict processing and withdraw your consent to future processing, the right to data portability, and the right to object to processing based on legitimate interests, for purposes of scientific/historical research, or direct marketing. If you would like to make a request pursuant to these rights, please contact our customer service department via the contact information provided below.
We may require you to verify your identity and specify what information you require before completing a request. There may be occasions when a request to access, obtain, modify or prevent the use of personal information we hold about you is denied. Such occasions would include, for example, where access to the information would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others.
How To Contact Us
You may also reach us by telephone at 1-800-516-7780 or by physical mail at:
General Mills Canada Corporation
Attention: Consumer Relations
1875 Buckhorn Gate, Suite 201
Mississauga, ON L4W 5N9
We use different types of cookies to run our Services, including some or all the types identified below.
Preferences cookies allow our Services to remember information, such your preferred language, that can be used to customize your experience on our Services. These cookies also can be used to provide you with information specific to your region, and may assist you in customizing our Services’ appearance. If these cookies are blocked or disabled, our Services may become less functional but should not be prevented from working.
Security cookies are used to authenticate users, prevent fraudulent use of login credentials, and to protect user data from unauthorized access. If these cookies are blocked or disabled, our Services will not function properly.
Process cookies help our Services deliver the functionality that you expect, such as by enabling you to access secure areas of our Services. If these cookies are blocked or disabled, our Services will not function properly.
Advertising cookies are used by parties that are involved in serving other companies’ advertising on our sites, or that are involved in determining which of our advertisements (or other parties’ advertisements) to show you on third-party websites. These cookies collect information about your online activities, such as the advertisements you have seen or the websites or pages you have visited, in order to draw inferences about what advertising might be relevant to you. This information is then used to show you advertising that may be most relevant to you, including when you visit other websites not belonging to us. If these cookies are blocked or disabled, our Services may become less functional, but should not be prevented from working.
Session State Cookies
These cookies allow our Services to collect information about how you interact with our Services, including which pages you visit most often and if certain pages send you error messages. These cookies help us improve our services. If these cookies are blocked or disabled, our Services may become less functional, but should not be prevented from working.
Analytics cookies collect information about the usage of our Services. We use these cookies to improve our Services by, for example, learning about the pages people visit most frequently. If these cookies are blocked or disabled, our Services should not be prevented from working.
© 2018 General Mills Inc. All Rights Reserved